Project Progress – End of GSoC

Hello again,

As the title says, this is my last report regarding my project during the Google Summer of Code program. I’m saying during GSoC because this is certainly not my last contribution to the plugin I’ve been working on all summer. In fact not only that I will give my best during the next days to get it to a deployable shape for the next KDE release, but I’m also planning to continue contributing to Marble in the long term. But first, I will make a presentation about the changes the plugin has undergone since my last post.

Because I polished many features and added a couple of other new ones as well, I’ll only discuss a little bit about each of the most important ones. The first new thingies I implemented are the Cut/Copy/Paste actions on graphic items (polygons, placemarks, polylines) which allow an easier duplication, in case one wants to set a style to a placemark and then to use it for others and only change the description, for instance. They also increase consistency since they can be performed on all available graphic items. The second new feature I added is the possibility of drawing and customizing paths (polylines) which used to be a real hole in our Editing Mode in Marble. Now one could easily go to osm.org and export an .osm file and load it in Marble. The actions available on polylines are identical to those for polygons since, obviously, these paths are the same thing as polygons except they are not closed. Last, but maybe one of the most important changes is the introduction of the ‘Focus Item’ concept to our Editing Mode. This means that there is only one item at a time with which the user interacts. This approach is much more intuitive for them and also makes the code easier to understand (so developers benefit from this too). It also allowed to easily adjust (enable and disable) the available actions depending on the Focus Item. My work has also included fixing bugs and making some optimizations especially when interacting with polygons and paths since the data they store can become really huge as the number of nodes increases. I tried to cover in the following screencast all these new features.

I also tried through this screencast to give you a hint about how the Annotate Plugin feels like overall and what you can do so far using its available features. The plugin still needs a lot of effort to be put in until I’ll be completely satisfied with it, but until then, this is most of what I managed to do during this summer, Google’s SUMMER of code.

I can say without doubts that it has been a great summer during which I learnt a lot from some of the best programmers and community people I’ve ever met. I want to thank everyone who made it possible, but especially to: Google who came out with this program, KDE for their friendliness and the passionate people I had the chance to meet, Torsten Rahn and Dennis Nienhüser, my mentors, who were always up to help and guide us and who deeply influenced my way of thinking, my GSoC colleagues, Sanjiban and Abhinav for making me feel more competitive and last, but not least, all Marble developers for contributing to the development of such a great application.

My journey with Marble and KDE has just started.

Călin Cruceru

About these ads

2 thoughts on “Project Progress – End of GSoC

  1. richard says:

    Hey Călin,
    yes this is a very nice progress indeed!

    Of course I still see some things to improve, but since you stay around we can discuss this later… ;-)

    So thanks again and hope to see you around!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s